Ways technology can drive higher employee engagement
December 18, 2023
In today’s fast-paced and interconnected world, technology has emerged as a powerful tool when it comes to getting things done effectively. By embracing cutting-edge technology, organizations continue to develop networks to promote knowledge sharing and innovative thinking. For companies aiming to improve employee engagement and performance, leveraging technology is essential. In the post-pandemic era where hybrid working is the new normal, companies are on a hunt for innovative approaches to integrate technology with employee engagement to ensure better experience and satisfaction.
The way your employees perceive their jobs and responsibilities impacts the overall performance of the organization. According to a recent report by Harvard Business Review, 71% of respondents ranked employee engagement as a crucial component to achieve overall organizational success. Higher employee engagement is also perceived to drive better customer engagement, improve productivity and retention, reduce accidents, increase profitability, and better health outcomes1.
Innovative ways to enhance employee engagement
Employee engagement has long been a source of concern for businesses across sectors. Disengaged employees are less productive and are more likely to quit, thereby driving a negative impact on the entire workplace culture. However, recent technological breakthroughs have provided businesses with significant tools to engage and drive their employees in innovative and unique ways. Companies may develop a culture of cooperation, recognition, and learning by embracing technology, which can lead to higher employee satisfaction, retention rates, and productivity levels. There are some novel ways in which you can utilize technology to improve employee satisfaction and level of engagement.
- Communication platforms at work: Implementing communication tools such as Slack, Microsoft Teams, or other messaging apps can enhance real-time communication among team members and across departments. These platforms promote transparency, help in sharing real-time information, and make important documents and data accessible to all. Utilizing video conferencing software for virtual meetings, webinars, and training sessions help in creating a more inclusive environment. Remote employees can feel more connected as it allows face-to-face interactions and reduces feelings of isolation. However, it is important to do thorough research and choose appropriate tools which are suitable for your workforce.
- Employee recognition software: Implementing employee recognition platforms allows recognizing and appreciating employees’ contributions and achievements in a structured and systematic approach, boosting employee morale and engagement. The software typically allows managers and peers to give recognition publicly or privately, thus fostering a positive and supportive work culture. Integrating it with reward and incentive programs like gift cards, vouchers, or points redeemable for merchandise further enhance employee engagement.
- Gamification of workplace: By integrating gamification mechanics and elements into the workplace, employers can create a more engaging and enjoyable experience. It can include leaderboards to display the achievements and progress of employees, points, badges, and rewards which are earned for completing tasks or meeting goals. You can also incorporate gamified elements into training programs to make learning more interactive, engaging, and memorable.
- Mobile learning apps: Providing employees with access to learning and development content through mobile apps allow them to learn at their own pace and convenience. It allows employees to access educational resources anytime and anywhere, promoting flexibility, convenience, and continuous learning. Mobile learning platforms can also offer tailored learning courses based on skills, interests, and career goals.
- Employee feedback and surveys: Using technology to conduct regular pulse surveys and collect anonymous feedback from employees can provide valuable insights regarding their concerns and needs. Companies can efficiently analyze and address feedback, empowering them to enhance employee experience and bring improvements in the work environment and company policies.
- Well-being and mental health apps: By prioritizing and supporting the overall health and well-being of the workforce, companies exhibit a commitment to employee health and happiness, fostering a positive work culture. These apps can help employees manage stress and promote mindfulness, while also enhancing productivity, decreasing absenteeism, and raising job satisfaction.
By embracing technology, organizations can empower their workforce, leading to a thriving and engaged workplace. However, it is essential to strike a balance between technology and human interaction to retain a strong sense of community within the organization.